Monday, April 7, 2008

JACC Conference

The conference was fun as always.

While I was waiting to go into the critical review writing lab, I was talking to some people from San Francisco City College about what kind of things it runs on its Arts page.

One person said he writes short comic book reviews.

I had been thinking about that idea for a while now.

My two main concerns for that were:
- Do many students care? Let's face it, the comic book crowd isn't what it used to be.
- Will they be of sufficient length? A comic book is maybe about 300 words. How long can the review be?

I think it might be something interesting to experiment with.

I checked out San Francisco's online site now, TheGuardsman.com, and it sometimes runs one section that has two to three-paragraph reviews.

In other news, TalonMarks.com won general excellence and the "Heroes" ad won second place. I'm proud of that.

I'm happy for Werner Gomez, former staff member, for winning first place in the on-the-spot sports photo contest.

As for myself, I didn't win anything in the on-the-spot competitions.

However, for mail-ins, I got some good feedback.

For my "Hollywood Revisited" review, it said that I needed a little more description of what the event is.

I remember when I was writing it, I was trying to not give too much "plot" in it. I guess I went overboard there.

And my page design for the floats on Oct. 31, 2007 issue, which I was very proud of, needed a clearer explanation of what the numbers mean on the photos. Good advice.

I hope next semester I'll win something. I'm not in this to win anything, but I'd like to next time.