Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Is cosmetology art?

Is it art? That's the question I want to address in this entry.

I just read the article that was ran in the current issue of the Talon Marks on the arts page.

Hairstyling is hardly art.

Last semester, we at the Talon Marks ran a story about makeup that was done on Halloween. That's art.

When done in a creative way, I consider it art.

But who is to say it's creative? What's creative to someone else can be just standard to me and vice versa.

I'm not downplaying hairstyling and haircutting, but to call it art is stretching it a bit.

Is my haircut (or lack thereof) art?

Then again, I'm sure much more work and creativity would go into women's styling.

My hairstyle is done, for the most part, with an electric clipper.

But what is art is subjective. In the last issue, my story on the photographers was ran. Some may say they're not art, they're just photos.

For a story like a cosmetology story, the arts page is probably fitting. I wouldn't run it on the news or sports pages.