Tuesday, February 12, 2008

The Commissioner of Fine Arts

I am not trying to offend or be libelous here. If anything here appears offensive, I'm sorry and know that is not my intent.

At yesterday's Cabinet meeting, the Commissioner of Fine Arts, Sun-Hee Kim, mentioned the Talon Marks.

This is reasonable. Journalism is under the category she covers.

However, I was immediately reminded of the last time she mentioned the Talon Marks.

Last semester, she went in front of the Senate and told them her friend said, "These people don't know how to write an article."

She again quoted her friend, saying, "It looked like someone who doesn't know how to speak English."

After the meeting, I asked her about it and she said her friend said the Talon Marks is improving.

I didn't hear that at the meeting. After asking her several times if she mentioned that part at the meeting, Holly Bogdanovich, director of Student Activities, answered my question and said she did.

I understand that she talks really softly. The only part I heard was the negative part, however.

Now, why do I keep hearing her friend's opinion? What's hers? Why does she keep quoting her friend at these meetings when she could be telling the Cabinet, the Senate, whatever, what she thinks about it.

ASCC President Jason Macias and Vice President Michael Barrita have voiced their opinions of the Talon Marks in the past. Sun-Hee Kim, however, voices the opinion of her friend (in which she hasn't identified).

Again, I'm sorry if this is offensive in any way. I think this is a valid question though.